Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Other Titles:||Preliminary History of 'Bacteriological Laboratories' in Taiwan during the Japanese Ruling Period|
Graduate Institute of Taiwan History
When the microscope, germ theory and laboratories quickly became prevalent in the second half of the 19th century, it was the late Qing dynasty and then the period of Japanese rule over Taiwan. Some studies have discussed how bacteriology arose and was promoted in Taiwan, but we still don't know how the specialized bacteriological laboratories were established and distributed. This is also a major way to assess the level of modern sanitation and development of bacteriology. Therefore, this paper studies the process of establishing the public and fixed positioned bacteriological labs in Japanese-ruled Taiwan, including building locations and timing, changes and reasons therefor, and through this history shows how bacteriology expanded in Taiwan. It was found that: 1. in 1900, labs were established in Taipei, Keelung, Taichung, Chiayi, etc. because of quarantine and for epidemic prevention. They were concentrated in the Taipei area, in part because of its status as the capital city; duties were closely related to plague prevention. 2. In the 1910s and 1920s, the labs underwent a wave of restructuring, construction and amplification. By the mid-1920s, there were labs set up throughout all the western part of Taiwan, with Taipei’s being the largest. The reasons for the changes in the 1920s included modifications to the local administrative system, a variety of international epidemics, and the adjustment of hygiene systems in Japan after the WWII. 3. After 1930, establishment of new labs focused on Kaohsiung and eastern Taiwan like Ilan, Hualien and Taitung. Therefore, the process of establishing examination units in Taiwan began mainly in the northern part, and then spread to the south and east. Labs were widespread throughout the whole of Taiwan by the 1930s. In the meantime, bacteriology experts were often transforming their jobs so as to accelerate the exchange and growth of expertise and knowledge. The labs were often located inside buildings of the Department of He
|Appears in Collections:||師大台灣史學報|
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.