Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Air-defense Grounds and Zones in Taipei City during World War II and Their Changes after the War�
Previous studies have used aerial photos taken by the U.S. military during World War II (hereafter WWII) to identify several air-defense evacuation zones established in Taipei city during 1944-45. The impact of these evacuation zones on the post-war development of Taipei city was also discussed. However, it is hard to understand all the associated detail based solely on aerial photos only. This study thus acquired the official gazette of the Formosa Government published by the Taiwan Governor-General's Office in November 1944 and April 1945 and used it to identify two main assignments of the air-defense grounds and zones in Taipei city. Based on these documents and other information that came available after WWII, the first and second assignments, including six air-defense grounds along with six air-defense zones assigned in November 1944 and 20 air-defense zones assigned in April 1945, were identified. Based on calculations performed after WWII, 351 houses (total area 39,285 m^2) and 2,748 houses (total area 669,007 m^2) were torn down as a result of the first and second assignments, respectively. This created an area of 708,292 m^2 for air-defense grounds and zones, 46.3% of which was Japanese owned while 40.2% was Taiwanese owned. After WWII, the Taipei city considered these grounds were created for air-defense purposes, and thus should be preserved for roads and parks. Ultimately, 40.9% of the original assigned area was preserved. These areas became heritages the city gained through war, being an indirect benefit of air-defense measures undertaken during WWII.
|Appears in Collections:||教師著作|
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.